The Urgency of Instructional Leadership (Steve Guditus)

As part of leadership (especially in a school), many things can morph into being the most urgent.  I can find myself in my office, away from students, working on one most-urgent project, and then jump to another most-urgent project.  Before I know it, the day is over, and I've only had face time with students at lunch and dismissal...and multiple most-urgent projects are still to-be-finished.  It can be easy to be sucked into the black hole of building manager and it takes a constant revisiting of urgencies, reflection and priorities to strive toward being a true instructional leader in a school.

To this end, working towards being a true instructional leader in my school will require me to:
  • Reprioritize what is truly urgent in my day: learning and teaching.
  • Each day, schedule myself for one hour of closed-door, productive, focused work on truly urgent assignments.
  • Participate in learning throughout the school day.
  • Use my PLN to continue to be a lifelong learner: it is as much as the habit as it is the content.
  • Share important resources with staff to encourage life-long learning and direction.
  • Converse with staff about learning and teaching, in a face-to-face manner.
  • Have the courage to tell someone, "I cannot do that now, but I will get it to you by X."
  • Be present in the hallways during passing to provide feedback to students and receive feedback from staff.
  • Be always positive with staff, students and parents.  The words I use matter!
I must remember that my to-do list can wait, because the students cannot.  I mustn't only say that learning and teaching is a priority, but show that through my actions; by doing so, I will further my journey towards true instructional leadership.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maslow's Hierarchy of School Needs (Steve Guditus)

37 inspirational ideas to kickoff your school year (Steve Guditus @sguditus)

Educator Evaluation Process: It's About Growth and Reflection @sguditus